Sunday, March 11, 2012

CHAPTER 6

SINCE MSSMARTBARBIE WANNA B CUTE....HERE YALL GO....




Onika made it home & locked herself in her room. For the next 3 days, she stayed there. When she finally did come back to school, she made it her business to move swiftly from class to class, timing her movements exactly so that she had no chance of bumping into Aubrey, or anyone else for that matter. She ate her lunch on the far side of the courtyard, under a snow covered birch tree. She went straight to work from school & avoided all other parts of the mall. She was so embarrassed after her encounter with Jermaine’s mother, she didn’t want to be seen. She was glad thanksgiving was coming. She wasn’t looking forward to being stuck with her mother for an entire week with no school, but she did want the break. The Friday before thanksgiving was like any other. She got her check, cashed it at the local bank branch in the mall & deposited $100 into her savings account. Her shift was over at 10 but when her boss asked her to stay & help with the new shipment of books for the holiday season, she didn’t want to refuse. Her manager, Leslie, was 1 of the few people that were actually nice to her.it was just after 11 when they finished stocking books. She said goodnight to Leslie & headed for the bus stop.to her dismay, as soon as she stepped outside, the bus was just pulling off.

“Wait! Please, stop!”

She chased after the bus almost an entire block, holding her belly. But it was no use. The driver didn’t see her. She was alone. She didn’t know what to do. Leslie was gone & that was the last bus of the night. She had no one to call. She knew her mother wouldn’t come get her. She sat down on the curb, tears flowing, as she tried to think of what she could do.  When she picked her head up to wipe her tears, she saw an SUV slowly creeping up to her. She quickly got to her feel & began walking. She didn’t know where she would go but she didn’t want to stick around & wait for whatever horrible thing this person may have in mind to happen. When she quickened her pace, so did the driver. She was starting to get scared. When she got back to the mall entrance, she yanked on the doors, but they were locked. She held her breath as she heard the automatic window go down.

“Onika!”

She turned around to see Aubrey. She didn’t move. He threw the car in park & hopped out.

“Hey! Wait!”

He jogged toward her.

“Go away.”

She backed away from him.

“What? Why?”

“I don’t want to be near you. Leave me alone.”

“But Onika.”

“Go away!”

“Listen I'm not gonna hurt you!”

“Leave me alone.”

“I just saw that you missed the bus & I wanna give you a ride home.”

“I'm fine, thank you.”

“C’mon now, it’s too cold out here for you to refuse my help. I know you're not gonna walk home.”

“I will if I have to.”

“That’s crazy! It’s freezing cold out, about to snow. Think about the baby.”

She slowed her pace & finally stopped. She didn’t want to take his help, but he was right. She didn’t care what would happen to her but she always tried to do what was right for the child.

“I just wanna take you home. That’s all.”

She let her bag drop from her shoulder to the ground. Aubrey came around her & picked it up, slinging it over his shoulder. He walked to his car & opened the passenger door for her. Once she was inside, he handed her the bag & closed the door before getting in on the driver’s side. He pulled away from the curb & headed west toward the highway.

“So, where about do you live? Gotta be pretty close to the school since you walk every day.”

“It’s about a mile away from there. In Westhaven.”

He turned to look at her.

“You're kidding right?”

“No.”

“But that’s like a mile away from school. You walk there every day?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“I don’t like the bus.”

“Why not?”

She said nothing.

“Oh. Right. Well, do you have parents? Can’t they take you?”

“They don’t care.”

“How can they not care that you’re pregnant & walking to school in this weather?”

“Why do you care?”

She turned & looked at him. He took the exit & pulled up to the light.

“I don’t know.”

“You know, regardless of what you heard & my present state of being, I don’t just go around, talking and or sleeping with anyone. So if you expect that, you can let me out right now.”

“Hold on, I didn’t hear anything & even if I did, I'm not the type to go on word of mouth.”

“Then what do you do? Stalk hopeless pregnant girls & hope to get lucky?”

“What makes you think I want anything from you?”

“Everybody wants something. Nothing is free.”

He pondered this as he turned the corner.

“I just want to help.”

“I don’t need your pity.”

“I don’t pity you. I admire you.”

Onika rolled her eyes.

“Yes, because I've been so admirable in these past 2 weeks since you’ve met me.”

“Actually, you have. All of these people hate you for some dumb reason & yet every day you show your face, ready to brave another day. You don’t let them break you.”

“Because you can’t break what’s already broken.” 

He said nothing else as he rounded the bend to the entrance to her gated community.

“You can drop me off right here.”

“You sure? I can drive you to your house.”

“No, please. Here is fine.”

He noticed the slight twitch of fear in her voice & stopped.

“I appreciate the ride.” She said as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

She reached in her bag & pulled out her wallet, handing him a 20.

“You don’t have to.”

“But I need to.”

She shoved the money into his hand & hopped out the car.

“Wait a minute.”

He reached into the glove compartment & pulled out a napkin & grabbed a marker from the center console, writing something down.

“Here. This is my number & my address. You need a ride again, you call me.”

She looked down at the napkin & then back at him.

“Why are you doing this?”

“If this is the only way I can help, fine. You need a ride, I need the money.”

“You live in Castle Lake. You don’t need my money.”

“Well, you’ve already paid me for 4 more rides.”

He flashed the 20 at her. She smirked as she rolled her eyes.

“You seem so much nicer when you smile like that. I hope your baby inherits that.”

“Goodnight Aubrey.”

“Goodnight.”

She closed his door & he sped off. She made her way down the sidewalk past the sign & the fountain; the introduction to her community. She walked to more blocks & froze. She saw the black BMW in the driveway. Her parents were home. She quickly stuffed the napkin into her backpack as she pulled out her key. She tried as quietly as she could to let herself in. it was to no avail.

“Onika!” Her mother called.

“Yes?” She answered.

She heard her heavy footsteps pad towards her from the living room. She just barely stopped in front of her before slapping her across the face.

“Where were you?!”

She was drunk.

“I…I had to stay late for work. Leslie needed my help.”

“Don’t lie to me, you were probably out with some boy, you WHORE!”

She slapped her again & again.

“Carol, stop it! Please!” Her husband came in & restrained her.

“You stay out of this Ray! She is my daughter!”

“But you're going to hurt her. I don’t want you to get in trouble baby.”

Carol was still. She thought about this from a moment. He shot Onika a sympathetic look. She lowered her head.

“You're right baby. Maybe she just needs some prayer.”

“Please! I didn’t do anything wrong!”

“Ray can you lead her in some scripture? I need to calm myself down.”

“Sure baby.”

He placed a hand on Onika’s shoulder. Carol walked back over to the couch on unsteady feet & flopped down. Ray stopped by the fridge & got some ice, wrapping it in a paper towel & handing it to Onika for her face.

“Do you have your bible ready?”

“Yes sir.” She whimpered as tears slid down her face.

They walked into her room. She closed the door & grabbed her worn tattered King James Bible off the vanity before they both feel to their knees at the edge of her bed.

“Please turn to Galatians 6:8.”

She flipped the pages to the familiar passage & read aloud.

“The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.”

Carol listened as her daughter read, weeping as she went along. She knew she shouldn’t have smacked her but seeing her was so disappointing. She had hoped that after witnessing all the struggle & hardships they went through due to Carol having her so young, that she would learn from those mistakes instead of making the same ones. It broke her heart to see her child suffer at her own hand but she had to be taught a lesson. It hurt her even more that her daughter was deciding to take the easy way out & give the child up for adoption but she would be 18 soon. She had no say over the matter & this bothered her. By no means did she want her child to be an unwed, single, teenage mother, but she didn’t want to see her grandchild out in the world with god knows who. She didn’t even know these people. All of this worsened her drinking problem that she formed over the years. It was too much for her to handle, so she tried to block it out. Her mind was foggy & sleep was coming. Her daughter’s sorrowful words still managed to travel to her after 20 minutes. The verse was ending & just before she went to sleep she repeated after her child as she said amen.

11 comments:

  1. wow i'm so speechless...what would she do without aubrey? everybody except him hates her 4 somethin stupid and he just wants 2 help. she still takes it all and she's so strong. it's even worse cuz her mom can't even stand 2 look at her. this was soooo great post soon! xoxo
    -Team Dricki 4Ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great chapter, Koy. I'm glad she's letting Aubrey in a little. I smiled when she smiled. He's such a sweetheart. And her mother reminds me so much of a character in my story, it's crazy. I almost feel for her mother, because she truly does care about her daughter, but she is disappointed. You can tell that before Onika became pregnant, her mother had placed her on a pedestal. Expecting this best from a girl with a smart head on her shoulders. But at the same time, Onika didn't do this purposely, so her mother should feel for her a little more. I hope her and Aubrey become good friends. I don't think she's ready for another relationship. And neither is he really. He's just a little smitten with her. Not sure where he stands with her, but he wants to be that helping hand. I like that. And Ray, he reminds me of a man in my life. Trying to help without getting too involved. He's good on this side. Once again, great post.
    - Jocie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This chapter was amazing.
    I feel for Onika.
    I don't understand how ppl can be so cruel.
    I'm glad Aubrey was there to take her home because her being pregnant running after that bus broke my heart. The fact that she even walks everyday is heartbreaking too. Her mother is punishing her for making the same mistake she did? Wow & what will this teach her? This is only making it bad on her part. Her mother can do better & her dad...as man of the house he disappoints me. I know he's hurt by Onika being pregnant but he seems okay I guess. Idk I just don't see how he's letting his wife do this to their child. Smh. Can't wait to read more. Thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psst! *taps you* it's her stepfather… <_< *exits*

      Delete
  4. This is Sad. Im Gladd she let Aubrey Give her a ride. Its mot good for her Nd the baby. I hope she lets him in. And her mom seems like shes gonna lighten up on her by he sound of the ending hopefully she just supports her daughter greaat Posst!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful story, just beautiful.
    I hope she can get out of what shes going through soon :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I loved this chapter. I'm glad she's giving Aubrey a chance. Her mom is horrible, but I see where she's coming from with that last paragraph. I hope you keep this going for a while. I really wanna see what's in store, please post soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This chapter was beyond good... Like I'm speechless. I'm happy she letting Aubrey help her, and her mom... SMDH that lady just evil.
    Post soon

    ~@NickiMmemphis

    ReplyDelete
  8. *plucks you* You made me cry. -_- I refuse to call this woman Carol. She doesn't deserve a name. She'll just be known as Onika's mother to me. As for the Stepfather, Ray, maybe he's a good guy after all :-/ At 1st I didn't too much like him, but now I feel like he isn't much of a threat to Nicki. Aubrey on the other hand is the best! ^_^ I'd be skeptical to take a ride from a dude I just met too so I don't blame Nic for not wanting him to take her home. But it's Aubs so of course he's only there to help & I'm glad Nic realized that even if only a little bit. I hope these two become closer cuz she needs someone who cares, besides Leslie. I feel bad for her mother though. She's such a bitch, yet she's hurting too. *sigh* What a "Precious" confliction. If it matters any, I'm still stuck on the opening dialogue from Chapter 1. Hopefully you tell us more about that. This was a great post, thanks Koy. Post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it please post soon or maybe send me a preview through email but I need some more of this story !!!!!!:)
    email: kaylamalia16@gmail

    ReplyDelete