Friday, July 6, 2012

CHAPTER 7

So......I know it's been forever & I'm sorry. LLT has had all of my attention. I'm trying to finish up these last 4 chapters & give them to you all at once so you wont have to wait anymore. More than anything, I want to finish that because it's been nearly 2 years...it needs to end. I hope that this will hold you over. Next chapter of this coming sooner than you think. I love you all.





For the past 5 days, Onika had been in her room, only coming out to eat. She was supervised by Ray while her mother was at work because “she obviously can’t be trusted”, her mother’s words. She was forced to participate in prayer for an hour every night before taking a scolding hot shower to be “cleansed of her sins”.

It was the morning of thanksgiving & Carol & Ray were packing for their trip to his parents’ house. While she was sad to be alone on the holiday, Onika was looking forward to the break. When she woke up that morning around 10, they were already gone. She made herself breakfast before dressing in black tights, orange sweater & comfy boots. She had to go into work at 3 to help stock for the black Friday sale at midnight. But with her mother gone & the busses not running because of the holiday, she had no way to get there. She tried calling Leslie but she was already at work.  By 1:45 she was in her room & sitting at the edge of her bed, trying to figure out what to do. She looked over to the corner of her room, spotted her backpack & sighed. She walked over to the window seat & dug inside her bag, grabbing the napkin with Aubrey’s number. It was a longshot, but she had to try because she needed to get to work. She pulled out her iPhone & slowly dialed his number. It was ringing. It was on the 5th ring & she was about to hang up when he answered.

“Hello?”

“h-hi, Aubrey?”

“Onkia?”

“Yeah.”

“Hey, what up? Happy thanksgiving.”

“Um, thanks. Same to you.”

There was an awkward pause.

“Ok…I know this is probably…really inconvenient. I know you're probably busy, but I really need a favor.”

“Ok. What is it?”

“I mean I understand if you can’t do it. I know it was a longshot when I called but I just really need to get to work &,”

“Slow down. It’s ok. I can take you.”

“Really? You don’t have to.”

“Really. It’s cool. What time do you want me to pick you up?”

“Is 2:30 ok?”

“It’s fine.”

“I really appreciate it.”

“No problem. See you at 2:30.”

“See ya.”

They hung up.

Onika took a minute to throw on her usual eye liner & mascara with a little bit of lip gloss before grabbing her coat & heading out the door.

Her music was on. A light, flowy Ingrid Michaelson tune to fit the weather.  She walked out of her community gate & sat on the bench at the bus stop. She tightened her scarf around her neck & pulled her knitted cap lower on her head as the wind picked up. Flurries were flying by. Cars were slushing down the main road. It was cold but she didn’t mind. Anything was better than being at home.

It wasn’t long before Aubrey pulled up to the curb, right on time. He hopped out of the truck & walked around to her side to let her in. after closing her door, he ran back over to his side & got in.

“Hope you weren’t waiting out there too long.”

“I wasn’t.”

“Good. Cuz, its freezing! Wouldn’t want you & the baby catching a cold or something.”

He gave her a smile while laughing nervously. She looked down at her hands. Him referring to the child growing inside her as a baby without any condescending undertones made her feel strange.

“Thank you for picking me up.” She said, trying to break the silence.

“Oh, no problem. My mom was actually glad. Now I'm not in the kitchen trying to steal the food she’s cooking.” He laughed. “What about you? Did you help your mom cook, or are you the eating type?”

“My parents aren’t home.”

“Really? On thanksgiving?”

“Nope.”

“So who’s gonna be hope with you when you get out of work?”

“No one.” A silence fell over them.

“No.”

“What?”

“No way are you going to spend a holiday by yourself. Did anyone COOK for you at least?”

“My mother cooked for her in-laws. She took the food with her.”

“That’s messed up.”

“That’s life.”

Again they were quiet. They remained that way as Aubrey flew down the highway & took the exit for the mall. He pulled up & let her out.

“So what time do you get out of work?”

“Why?”

“Well, you're gonna need a ride home, right?”

“No. I can get home.”

“You sure?”

“Yes.”

He held the door to the mall open for her.

“Well, alright. Call me if you need me.”

He stood there, hands shoved in his pockets, as he watched her walk down the nearly deserted corridor.

The hours passed & before Onika knew it, it was time to clock out. Leslie had to stay until 10 to finish up so she couldn’t give her a ride home so she decided to walk. She told Leslie goodnight & headed for the main entrance. As she approached, she noticed a tall, slender figure in the shadows off to the left. She kept her head down & sped up, hoping to pass by the person. The mall was closed so anyone still here was only a threat to her. She held her breath as she reached the threshold until she heard him call her name.

“Hey.”

Onika sighed as she looked over at Aubrey.

“What are you doing here?”

“Oh, just doing a little shopping.”

“The mall’s been closed for almost an hour.”

“Oh well…I was uh…waiting for the bus?”

Onika rolled her eyes.

She wrapped her scarf tightly around her neck. Aubrey jogged up next to her.

“Ok, the truth is, I think it’s really sad that you're just going home to this empty house. And I knew you might try to walk home & I just couldn’t allow that. So…I waited for you. I know it’s creepy but so what. I wouldn’t be a good person if I didn’t.”

“I really don’t need the ride.”

“Oh, so you have a ride?”

Onika was quiet.

“Yeah. Car’s out front.”

“I'm not going with you. I can get home on my own.”

“I'm not leaving without you.”

“Seriously, I'm fine.”

“You know, all this arguing is gonna make me late for dinner. My mom is gonna kill me.”

“So go home.”

“Not without you. I'm not gonna let you try to walk home, in the cold, at night. Who knows what kind of crazies are out here? Besides, it’s not good for you, or the baby.”

He used that term again. Baby. The one thing her could say that would persuade her to listen to him. She sighed before walking with him to his car. They got in & head back to town.

“So, you're really going home to an empty house?”

“That’s the plan.”

“But don’t you wanna have a nice meal with good people?”

“I don’t have a nice meal & I don’t know any good people.”

“You know me.”

“I'm not sure you're good people.”

“Ouch.”

“Just being honest.”

They were almost to her house when he took a right turn.

“What are you doing? My house is the other way.”

“I know, but my house is this way.”

“I'm not going to your house, let me out.”

“It’s just for dinner Onika.”

“No. let me out.”

“Come on. It’ll be fun!”

“No let me out, please!” She yelled. She pulled at the door handle & pushed it open.

“Woah, woah, hold on!” Aubrey yelled as he swerved over to the shoulder lane, screeching to a stop. He reached over & pulled the door closed & locked it.

“What is wrong with you?! You could’ve gotten hurt!” He yelled.

Onika sat, not saying a word.

“Did you think I would…..do something to you?!”

Still she said nothing.

“Onika, I would never hurt anybody. Especially you! You’re pregnant!”

“So why won’t you take me home?”

“Because I wanted to do something NICE! Every day I see these disgusting people treat you like garbage. I didn’t mean to scare you. I just wanted to you to be able to have ONE person in your life treat you like a human being. Is that so horrible?!”

Onika sat still. The tears were streaming down her face. It had been so long since someone had been nice to her that she had forgotten what it felt like. She felt absolutely horrible about treating Aubrey this way, but it was her instinct.

“I'm sorry.” she said wiping her tears. “Please forgive me.”

Drake put a hand gently on her shoulder.

“It’s ok. I shouldn’t have just sprung that on you either. If you want me to take you home, I can.”

Onika put a hand on her stomach. She was hungry but she didn’t want to impose.

“You sure it’s ok?” She asked.

“Of course it is!” Aubrey smiled at her.

She buckled her seatbelt & sat back as he pulled away from the curb. He headed east before turning left on a single road. It was lined with beautiful towering birch trees that were sprinkled with snow. At the end of the long road, there was a large iron gate with the letters C & L fixed into it in a loopy script. Aubrey went into his visor & pulled out a card & rolled down his window to swipe it at the security booth. A light chime sounded & the mighty gates opened. Onika looked out the window as he drove. The houses were beautiful, like small castles. As he drove deeper into the community, they only got bigger. Before long he was pulling into a long drive that lead up to a huge grey mansion. He drove around the roundabout before stopping next to a range rover parked in front of his house. They both got out & headed toward the house, Aubrey leading the way. When he opened the door, voices flowed out to them. Aubrey took off his coat & hung it in a closet near the door. Onika followed him through the house, past the grand staircases to a huge dining room. There couldn’t have been less that 50 people bustling around them. Aubrey reached back, grabbing her hand as he pushed past them. As soon as he reached the kitchen door he could hear his name being called.

“Aubrey? Where is Aubrey?” His mother called.

“Mom!” He said as he waved above the sea of bodies. She scowled as she stalked toward them.

“Aubrey Graham I specifically told you to be here at 7:30 on the dot! I have over 60 hungry people here & they're all waiting on you!”

“I'm sorry ma’am. It was all my fault.” Onika said with her head low. Aubrey’s mother was shocked when she noticed Onika standing there. She gave Aubrey a look.

“Well both of you hurry up & wash your hands so you can get to the table.” She rushed past them with a food tray in her hand.

“You sure she’s not mad?” Onika asked.

“She’s fine.” He assured her.

“Give me your stuff. I’ll take it upstairs so no one touches it.”

Onika slid her coat from her shoulders & handed it to him along with her bag. He raced upstairs as she rinsed her hands in the kitchen sink. By the time she was done, he was back. They headed for the dining room. He took his position next to his mother & Onika next to him. The food was plentiful & delicious. It seemed like another life time when Onika had eaten a home cooked meal. When she was finished & the guests had dwindled, Aubrey’s mother packed her plates of food to take home.

“There’s plenty more if you need it. Don’t be shy. Just ask Aubrey & I will send it over.”

“Thank you Mrs. Graham.”  Onika said as she took the bag of Tupperware.

After grabbing her things from his room, Aubrey led her out to the car, taking her back home.

“Wasn’t so bad, right?” He said, smiling.

“No it was very nice.”

“I'm glad you had a good time.”

They sat in a comfortable silence until they reached her community.

“You sure I can’t drive you to your house? It really isn’t a problem.”

“I'm fine. Really.”

She opened the door & stepped out.

“Thank you for everything today.”

“You're very welcome. See you around.”

“Goodbye.”  She smiled before closing the door & heading for her house. Aubrey watched her until she disappeared into the dark.

9 comments:

  1. I really really love this story. Like a lot. I'm so glad she's loosening up. Can't wait for the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg ! Great Chapter Koy-Koy ! Ohh, Nic's mom is suca a bitch in this fiction ! Follow Me on Twitter @HarajukuMikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Onika, just let him love you. :( ughhh. he's such a sweetie. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really can't believe her parents left her like that. Like really? Smh This chapter was beautiful. I'm glad Aubrey got her to change her mind. It's sad how people treat her. She's not even use to people referring to her child as a baby. That's sad af. I really love this story & chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO in LOVE with this fic cant wait for tha next chap post soon munchkin - @Crazii_Barbiexo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh you made me cry. Ugh Onika stop pushing him away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dead at me crying like a big baby. This was so good! I hate that her parents do that to her. Smfh. Awwwww Drake is so sweet! *wipes tear* I'm happy that she's starting to feel more comfortable around him now. This was so beautiful. Great chapter! Please post soon! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love this story ... It's so good you need to put up the next chapter soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please post. I just ran into this story and i love it.

    ReplyDelete